Tips to Make the Switch to Raw Pet Food
As a pet parent, you only want what is best for your fur baby. The best way to achieve this is by providing your pet with the best diet possible. This is why making the switch to a species appropriate diet or raw pet food diet is necessary. Making the change to raw pet food may make you feel uncertain, but don’t be nervous; we already did the research for you!
If you want to make the switch but don’t know where to start, follow these tips below.
- Go “Cold Turkey” – For dogs with no health issues, ditch the kibble and make the switch immediately!
- The “Slow Method” – Used for dogs and/or cats that may have a sensitive stomach. If that is the case, then you may mix some of their kibble with the raw food at first while slowly decreasing the kibble with each feeding.
- Poop Patrol – Pay attention to your pet’s stool. It is important to note if it’s runny or firm to know how they are handling the switch to raw. You may also pair their new diet with pureed pumpkin and a probiotic/prebiotic mix to help with their gut health.
- PH Plays a Role – Your pet has a high alkaline pH in their body meant to aide them in kibble digestion. With raw pet food, their pH has to acclimate to the new diet and become acidic. This is why for some pets you’ll need to keep an eye on their poops.
- Picky Eaters – You may be faced with a picky pet used to kibble or wet food. Don’t fret, and don’t go back to kibble! Instead, slowly introduce the raw pet food using the Slow Method.
What to Expect When Feeding Your Pet Raw Pet Food
The transition to raw dog food in Ottawa may be a challenge at first but it is rewarding when you see the amazing results! It is only natural that once introduced to a complete, balanced, and healthy diet, your pet may start a detoxification process.
Signs of Detoxification
- Itchy skin
- Runny eyes
- Itchy ears
- Shedding of old dead hair
Your pet’s body is getting used to a new diet so don’t be alarmed when you notice these signs. These are only temporary and may take a few days for young dogs or up to 2-3 months for older dogs. The health of the dog will also affect how much time it takes for his/her body to detoxify.
Improvements with Raw Pet Food
- Smaller and less smelly stools
- Healthy skin & coat
- No more doggy smell
- Sweet smelling doggy breath
- Cleaner teeth and healthy gums
- High energy
- Fewer/no allergies
All the signs of a healthy pet can be achieved with a simple change to raw dog food or raw cat food in Ottawa.
Do you want to know more about the wonders of raw pet food? Everything Raw provides raw pet food consultations to help prepare your pet for the transition. Call us at 613-692-7770 for more information on how to make the switch to raw pet food.
Want to feed your pet like nature intended? Make the switch to raw pet food with Everything Raw! #rawpetfood #rawdogfood #rawcatfood #rawfoodconsultations