A Balanced, Complete, Natural Raw Pet Food Diet
Switching to a raw pet food diet can provide a wealth of benefits for your dog and/or cat. However, it is important to understand that your animal’s dietary needs cannot be met with meat alone. The main goal of making the switch to a species appropriate diet or raw pet food is to be able to provide a meal plan that closely resembles what they would consume in the wild. This ensures that your fur baby will have everything that they need to live a long and happy life.
Understanding Raw Pet Food
Raw Dog Food
When considering what the ideal diet is for your dog, it might be helpful to think about one of the main sources of food for their wolf ancestors: the rabbit. A whole rabbit isn’t just a block of meat; it is instead comprised of a variety of nutrient dense tissues and bone, organ meats, predigested vegetables and fiber. A way to replicate this traditional meal with raw dog food in Ottawa is by following this ratio.
- Meat (60-75%): The staple in the diet, sources include chicken, turkey, duck, beef, lamb, venison, rabbit, or fish, just to name a few.
- Raw Edible Bones (10-15%): Dogs require bones for skeleton health as well as for healthy teeth and gums. Sources include chicken (wings, backs, or necks) or turkey necks.
- Organ Meats (5-10%): Natural source of vitamins and minerals. Sources include the heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, and spleen..
- Vegetables (15-25%): Green Tripe is best but ground and chopped vegetables are an excellent source of fibre, necessary to ensure healthy stools.
Raw Cat Food
When constructing a raw cat food diet in Ottawa, consider the body composition of one of their favorite prey items: the mouse. The ratio differs from dogs because cats can subsist on a diet of mostly meat.
- Meat (90%) – We supply a hefty amount of protein in all of our cat recipes.
- Raw Edible Bone (5%) — Finely ground bone provides all a cat needs for healthy skeletal structure and healthy teeth and gums.
- Organ meats (5%)— Natural source of vitamins and minerals. Chicken heart and beef heart are excellent sources of taurine for your feline. Taurine is necessary for heart health, vision, digestion, and the overall immune system.
The best way to optimize your pet’s diet is to seek the advice of skilled specialists like those at Everything Raw. Give us a call at 613-692-7770 to book a consultation. Our raw pet food consultations, provide personalized help with a raw diet that will keep your pets healthy and happy!
Are you curious about a natural diet for your pet? Everything Raw has everything you need to start your raw pet food journey! #rawpetfood #rawdogfood #rawcatfood